I'm a wife and a mom.
I've been married for 15 yrs to a great, steady guy.
I have two funny, bright kids -- a 12yo girl and a 9yo boy.
I'm not a great housekeeper, but I try.
I'm a very good cook.
We try to eat naturally, seasonally and locally,
but life isn't worth living without Oreos.
I could stand to lose 25 lb. (It's those Oreos.)
Mostly, I muddle along and mostly, people let me.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

It doesn't feel like Saturday + Recipe

My days are all messed up. DH gets the entire Christmas holiday off, so everyone's been in the house since the 23rd. It's fun to have us all together without worrying about schedules, but now that Christmas is over, I'm ready to go back to 'normal,' such as it is.

Also, we missed the trash pickup for the 2nd week in a row since the days are all messed up. We don't generate a ton of trash, but I'm going to be hard pressed to get the lid fastened next week.

In the spirit of Eating Well, I'll offer my easy, quick Hoppin John recipe.

2 strips of bacon
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper chopped

2 cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's seasoning (it's a staple at our house -- it goes on everything) If you don't have it, then salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder...whatever seasonings call to you at the moment.

Fry the bacon in a saucepan until brown. Remove and reserve for something else that needs cooked bacon. Dump in all the chopped veggies. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the onions are golden and soft, 8-10 minutes.

Add the black-eyed peas, stock, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, cover halfway, then simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I don't add the full 2 cups of stock because I don't like my Hoppin John too wet. I usually serve it over rice, but last night, it was just a side dish on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment