I'm a wife and a mom.
I've been married for 15 yrs to a great, steady guy.
I have two funny, bright kids -- a 12yo girl and a 9yo boy.
I'm not a great housekeeper, but I try.
I'm a very good cook.
We try to eat naturally, seasonally and locally,
but life isn't worth living without Oreos.
I could stand to lose 25 lb. (It's those Oreos.)
Mostly, I muddle along and mostly, people let me.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Serenity Now



Today, y’all get the confluence of a few things that have been flowing in my life that aren’t necessarily about writing, certainly aren’t paranormal, but they do influence my writing.

First, what genius thought up perimenopause? Because this betwixt and between stage is like the hell-end of purgatory and I can see the fire and brimstone from here.

*Deep breaths. Serenity now.*

I sometimes wish I was more crunchy granola with the whole maiden/mother/crone, moving through life stages, welcoming a change in fertility, yadda yadda yadda. This is a freaking nightmare. I can’t think and the mood swings should come with a warning claxon that screams, “Step away from your mother! Maintain peace at all costs! Go to your room if you value your life!”

*More deep breaths. Serenity now, please.*

Second, ADD can be kind of fun. Things that were lost become new again when found. This is not actually so when the lost thing is a bill.

*Whoo. Getting light headed. And was I not asking for serenity loudly enough?*

The mood swings are killing my writing, too. I am currently on my fifth version of this @#$*& Steampunk story. It’s not enough, apparently, that even though I started it four years ago it now looks like I’m just jumping on the bandwagon. No. Now I realize that because I have no magical or paranormal elements to it, I’m actually writing science fiction – and I swore I’d never write science fiction because the worldbuilding and the details are an absolute killer. Welcome to my fictional nightmare.

*Screw the deep breathing. Where the hell is my serenity?*

So. Wildly fluctuating hormone levels, wonky brain chemistry, and worldbuilding that is sapping my will to live. I haven’t decided whether to go Virginia Woolf or Mad Max with this little crossroads of life. But you know what I do want?

SERENITY NOW!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Embrace the insanity that is perimenopause! Or at least do what I do - go around constantly muttering "this is only temporary, this is only temporary, this is..."

    Science fiction - I'm one of those horrible readers who will snark if the created world has contradictory rules or doesn't quite work...I can see why you don't want to write it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, you are not giving me a lot of hope for my next stage of life! I am a firm believer in just removing all the unneeded parts after you are sure you are done bearing children! At least you get it over with that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to point out, from a great distance, that your sense of humor has me in stitches. I will go hide now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! The claxon! I need the Claxon! As a victim of surgical menopause, I can relate. My poor husband gets the brunt of the mood swings if I forget to take my hormones, mostly because he is the only one brave enough to remind me at that point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you haven't lost your sense of humor! I love the Serenity Now episode....we were just talking about that at our house.

    I'm not looking forward to the mood swings....

    ReplyDelete